So far this year we have admitted 571 injured or orphaned wild animals for care at our wildlife rehabilitation hospital. Two hundred and seventy-seven (48 %) of these patients came in during the month of May alone.
In May we admitted 51 different species of animals. Mammals made up 32% of our patients (88 individuals), while birds made up the remaining 68% (188 individuals). We also admitted one gopher snake. Orphaned Cottontail rabbits were the most common mammal patients (34 individuals) and mallard ducklings represented the most common avian species (57 individuals).
In the next four months, as we progress through our busiest time of year, we will take in approximately 2/3 of our total patient admissions for the year. Every year we set a new record for animal admissions (last year we reached 1,500 patients), and we expect this trend to continue through 2016. Your support makes this all possible.
Join Chintimini for “Plants” Day Camp on May 30, 2016.
In this camp, children will be learning about invasive and native plants as well as basics about plant parts. Additionally, they will discover what it takes to do a restoration project. At the end of the day, each child will plant seeds for a medicinal garden to take home. More info & register now.
Special thanks to the following folks for hosting fundraisers for CWC this past month!
♥ Downward Dog Campus + Two Towns Cider’s Earth Day Happy Hour: $300
♥ Ava Kalmar & friends Lemonade Day 2016 at Fred Meyer, endorsed by the City of Corvallis Chamber of Commerce: $250
♥ Girl Scouts Troop 20497 Cookie Sale: $500
These funds will help us to house, feed and rehabilitate local wildlife.
In the 27 years that Chintimini Wildlife Center has been rehabilitating wildlife, we have seen more than our fair share of Bald Eagles who are admitted to the clinic with levels of lead exposure or lead poisoning. Some cases are more severe than others. Other animals like geese, ducks, loons, vultures, hawks, ravens, crows also suffer from lead toxicity. It is an eminent threat to our native wildlife.
The symptoms of lead poisoning is weakness, lack of appetite, paralysis, tremors, head dropping, seizures, blindness, weight loss and anemia, among others. Lead poisoning in wildlife is caused by ingestion of lead laced ammunition and fishing sinkers. Continue reading “Help Chintimini Get a Lead Test Kit for Eagles”
Here at the Chintimini Wildlife Center, our staff and volunteers both look forward to and brace for BABY SEASON! Of course nursing orphaned animals and reuniting them with their parents has its rewards, not to mention the cuteness factor, but the sheer volume of animals can be very time consuming and is sometimes overwhelming. For example, some newborn songbirds need to be fed every 15 minutes from sun up to sun down! All in all though, it simply is the best and most interesting time of year at the clinic.
This March we have already gotten a taste of many of the tiny patients to come. Let’s take the time, while we have it, to introduce the first of the little ones.
The very first baby birds of the season are not so little. This past week we received a call about a Great Horned Owl nestling that was on the ground under a tree. Apparently a recent rain and wind storm had caused it to fall out of its nest. The caring property owners who had called had noticed the parents feeding him on the ground and heard their calls.
Animal Care Director Kelsey Lance went to rescue the nestling and found it was too young to be out of the nest. He was brought back to the clinic, where staff warmed it up, gave him an exam and found that there were no injuries. He was deemed healthy with a full belly of food, which indicated that his parents had fed him recently.